Friday, June 12, 2015

Day 21 - Day 26

Today we pulled out the pipes from a borehole (basically a narrow well), about an hour from the mission, along with the drill bit that was attached to it. Then we lowered the casing that's supposed to keep all the dirt and things from contaminating the water and keep the walls from collapsing into the borehole. Eighteen cases, each ten feet long. My job was to grease both ends of each case so they would screw on easily, so I didn't not really see how the casing was lowered, but I know they used the drill rig and chains tied around at least the top end. It is hard to describe the rig without pictures, but I did not get any pictures because I did not have my phone on me. I know Hannah and Rebekah got some pictures . Maybe I can attach later.

After the casing was set in the hole, we poured silt around the casing so it wouldn't wobble in the hole. At a certain point in this process, water came GUSHING over three to of the casing. This we took lots of pictures of because Bob Wright (our boss) says this doesn't happen too often, and when it does, we know we have a winner. That's a good thing too because this job has taken a LONG time to complete. And that ground was hard! Took about 30 minutes on average for the drill to move one foot down!!

Then we dug around the casing and cemented a metal cylinder over top of it. There was a cover over it to prevent kids from throwing dirt or rocks into the water. Note we are just waiting a week for the cement to dry fully. (It's rainy season here so it rains pretty much every day.)

I wrote this blog on Friday before we took a 4 day long trip down country with the Knox's, going I could post the blog before then but wasn't able to. For some reason, it won't let me post pictures here, but maybe I can pay some to Facebook.

It is 9:46pm right now, so I am going to go to bed soon. Here, everyone gets tired early. I don't know if I've said this, but 9:00pm is "missionary midnight". :P Pretty accurate too. It does feel like midnight.

I will hopeful be able to write more later. As you are praying, please keep us and the team that will be coming next week in your prayers. Thank you so much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment