Monday, July 17, 2017

The Reason for the Storm

Yesterday, You showed me something that I was blind to and needed to see.



I was out on the water with two of Your daughters
Laughing and talking about life
The view was perfect as it started to rain
Little droplets beaded on the water
And shone like diamonds on the water's plain

The water grew cold as it stuck to our skin
And we climbed back into the boat
As we started rowing out into the haze
We saw lightning and then loud thunder
As it got closer, the fear began to rise

Dipping my oar into the water,  it all felt so surreal
I began to hear screams around me
And realized that my friends were afraid to die
Prayers were offered up to our Father
While I silently wished the storm would end my life

We made our way quickly to shore to stay close to the trees
Hugging the water's edge, we rowed
As the canoe moved, I saw it fill with lake
I knew we were safe as far as humans go
Yet I longed for my sight to prove my faith

"Can You take me Home now?" my heart longed but couldn't pray
Before I knew it, we were on shore
Draining the canoe, I felt my heart sink
And while my sisters rejoiced, I felt a loss
We were the kind of safe I didn't want to be

As we tied the boat securely to ride back to camp
I looked out over the water
Wishing the lightning had only taken me
One more close call and I still wasn't Home
What would it take for my life to be free?

We joined our brothers and the girls' thankful story told
I gazed at their smiling faces
Wondering why they still desired to live
I stayed silent, not feeling thankful
Life seems resilient when you don't want it

For a few minutes earlier I had been alone
Watching the pouring rain fall down
I realized this desire had been suppressed
And only Your storm could have brought it out
I lay on the ground trying to see purpose

My eyes were level to the street, and as each drop fell
I heard a thought that was not my own
It was gentle as it said, "Look at these drops
Are they not short-lived? These drops are like you
Their life is to impact the ground they wet

And yet they are not alone. They are part of many
One by itself is not enough
But together they all cover the dry ground
Seeping into the cracks to make things grow
In the same way, you are far from alone

Your short life is to impact the people around you
To show them I make all things new
And to point to the Heaven from whence you came
Like the rain, I will raise you from the ground
But as you saw, today is not that day

The reason you remain is because I want you here
You are not done with your purpose
I see Your sadness, but look for my plan
Despite what you feel, it is for your joy"
My tears fell like the rain around them.


Now I'm looking for your purpose, because I know You want me here. Show this little raindrop the joy that comes in each new growth, and let me not despise the days I have left. But I will keep asking You, Jesus, please come soon and take me past the clouds to be with You. For now, I wait. Give me strength to be who You made me to be -- the wettest raindrop to saturate the dry ground around me. I need You.






No comments:

Post a Comment