Friday, February 9, 2018

Shadows of the Dawn

My absolute favorite thing on this Minnesota winter morning was to get up early, before the sun rose and seek the Son's face. As the morning light slowly came out of the shadows, my thoughts and prayers also came out of the darkness and rose to heaven because He came down to meet me in my desperation in his life-giving Word before I even knew what to pray. Then, I saw the sun! Oh, joy of all dark winter days -- the sun!!! I rose from my comfortable perch to raise the shades of the east-facing living room in which I sat. As I opened the blinds, joy rushed in my heart as I hurriedly raised the shades all the way to the top. I did this with one window and then the next, and then the next, and then the next. The sunlight, now unhindered, flooded the place with warmth and light and I soaked in it, thinking, "Let me let Your light and warmth flood my heart and melt the darkness away each morning as I do with Your wonderful sun!"

It reminded me of this song that so fits the sorrows in the desert valley that I find myself in. Read it over and over. The truths hidden in the soil of these lyrics are far more vast than you could mine in one reading.


A world away and still not far Like fabric woven into ours The dawn, it shot out through the night
And day is coming soon
The kingdom of the Morning Star Can pierce a cold and stony heart It's grace went through me like a sword And came out like a song Now I'm just waiting for the day In the shadows of the dawn But I won't wait, resting my bones I'll take these foolishness roads of grace And run toward the dawn And when I rise and dawn turns to day I'll shine as bright as the sun And these roads that I've run, will be wise It's veiled and stands behind the shroud The final day when trumpets sound Sometimes I glimpse into the fog And listen for the song Til then I'm waiting for the day In the shadows of the dawn But I won't wait, resting my bones I'll take these foolishness roads of grace And run toward the dawn And when I rise and dawn turns to day I'll shine as bright as the sun And these roads that I've run... No I won't wait, resting my bones I'll take these foolishness roads of grace And run toward the dawn And when I rise and dawn turns to day I'll shine as bright as the sun And these roads that I've run, will be wise

I'm just waiting for the Day
In the shadows of the dawn
The Day, the Day, the Day in the shadows
Of the dawn

This song is mine as I raise the shades to let the light flood into my home in the mornings, and this song is mine as I sit in the darkness each morning, asking the Light to come and flood the temple of my heart as I prepare for the Day of the LORD in the shadows of its Dawn.



No comments:

Post a Comment