Saturday, March 31, 2018

Adopted to Forgive

I sat down on the couch this morning, thinking of the Good Friday service last night and of Jesus' sacrifice for me, and these words came to my pen (well, from fingertips to phone). I'd say it's fitting as I wrestle with how the empty cross and the empty grave that we celebrate tomorrow come to bear in my own struggles.


Somehow the ones most hard to deal with 
Are still ones for whom you gave Your life
Stricken, smitten, and afflicted
These are they for whom You died?
I too, have spat on You and traded
Precious love for almost anything
And still I find my heart too jaded
To surrender my hurt and crown You my King

Would it have been different if I had witnessed
The blood You shed poured out for me?
No, I too, am much like Judas
Who is offered the Truth and chooses deceit
How can I, now, look upon a sibling*
For whom You loved and gave Your Son?
And say, "I don't want the family I was given
I'd much rather live without what You have won."

I used to watch those slaves in Egypt
And think they'd never get over that they were free
But when they got into the desert
They forgot the LORD who promised to lead
Now, I too, find myself not really knowing 
How to live in the freedom that You gave
Egypt was the only life I've been used to
How does a free man not live as a slave?

How does a free man accept his freedom
Bought for him with the Life-filled blood?
Accept that fact that he's been forgiven
And extend that grace to his Father's sons?
How does a warrior accept this "peace" thing--
Embrace the family that he's been bought in?
How can he lay down his weapons
If he doesn't remember he's been adopted?


It is for freedom Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1



*Brother/sister in Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment