Saturday, April 26, 2014

As The Rising Sun

I wrote this poem this morning as I was watching the sunrise for the first time in a long time from my roof. I tried to describe what I was seeing but then I thought of Psalm 19 and decided my words couldn't do it justice, so I put David's words about the heavens to rhyme. The rest flowed and seemed to fit so I kept most of the Psalm and I made it my prayer as I watched God's painting unfold before my eyes. 



Wisps of clouds drift slowly with the gentle breeze across the sky,
Birds sing gladly to welcome the morning and their song rises high--
High above the trees and beyond golden linings of the clouds.
Above starry space and galaxies beyond their praise resounds,
And I know I am in your presence.
The glow in the east brightens and above the skyline, the sun!
A sight of joy and wonder, another day where light has won.
Just behind me swirls the blue where night flees;
Tiny sparrows fly above me toward the sun on the misty breeze,
And I become aware of your greatness.

The heavens declare the glory of God, the skies His handiwork!
Day after day and night after night, knowledge and speech pour forth.
No tongue, no speech, no language exists where their praise is not heard;
Their voice travels all the earth, the words the ends of the world.
All of creation is singing Him praise!
In the vast Heavens, the Almighty pitched a tent for the sun
Which is like a bridegroom ascending a hill from his pavilion.
Like a champion rejoices to run his course, he rises
From one end of the heavens he makes his circuit through the skies.
Nothing is hidden from his rays. 

The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul.
The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
The precepts of the LORD that give joy to joyless hearts are right.
The commands of the LORD are radiant that give light to the eyes. 
The fear of the LORD endures forever.
These are more precious than gold refined by fire, than fine gold; 
They are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb.
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my soul
As pure as the morning and as joy-full as the rising sun,
Be pleasing in Your sight, my Redeemer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment