Thursday, April 10, 2014

Debbie

That single seat in front of me
No longer to be filled -- empty,
Now the symbol of a loss
My mind can't comprehend.
My heart feels for those she loved--
I know one of them.
And I think to myself the pain I would feel
If it were one of my closest friends...

They filed in, faces I did not know,
And gently broke the news
Yet the gentleness was overcome
By the great weight of the blow.
When they first told us, she was but a student,
A faceless name, detached, unexposed.
But they pointed to her seat, and now
She was someone that I know.

Lingering questions, some asked, some still:
"When did this happen?"
When did we know?"
How could someone do something like this?"
Ring in my ears and sink down.
I think of her friend -- the empty seat beside me, his.
My eyes, wide, never leave her seat
As emotions swell and the tears sting.

I feel like running out of the room, but I am frozen.
Hiding behind the curtain of hair
That falls around my face,
I vaguely hear the sentiments spoken.
But my mind is only half there,
Listening to, "We are here if you want to ask questions."
The rest of me tries to make sense
Of the reason behind it, why she was chosen.

They leave us with their number
And give one last glance of sympathy.
But I keep thinking to myself
It's not enough for those who knew her.
All these motions feel so very empty.
Who'll answer the questions of those she treasured?
Two gaping holes now need to be filled.
She did not die alone; she died with her mother.

Once so young, now she's just a memory,
A heartbeat of life and great potential,
Her face, that of joy and innocence.
I only knew her name, but she was loved by many.
I feel I missed out on something special.
The loss of this girl on our hearts is heavy,
But her life is something that we will remember.
We grieve with those who lost you, Debbie.


~~~~~~~~~~~


This poem was written in memory of Debbie, a girl who used to sit in front of me in Math. When I went into class today, three counselors came in and told us that she and her mother had been shot in a home invasion and had died Monday night. This was hard news for all of us to hear.  Even my teacher said she had been crying all day yesterday after she found out. To think that the girl of only eighteen that we saw on Thursday is now dead.... If you are reading this, please pray for her family and friends -- especially her father, who is left without a wife and daughter...

 "Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him..." 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

No comments:

Post a Comment